Monday, April 1, 2024

A Long Overdue Update!

Sorry for the radio silence. A new profile will appear tomorrow, but first, a chance to explain what took so long.

After I published the (immense) profile on Emery Hawkins, I admit that it took a lot out of me. I didn't intend to neglect this blog for so long, but film restoration, Cartoon Research, and my Patreon page have taken up much of my time, as many of you know. In thinking about the blog's future, I've realized that I should be more consistent—almost two years without posts doesn't seem acceptable. For now, I did have something in mind: some profiles might be more polished, while others might reflect my notes almost verbatim. Some figures in the animation industry, with very little information about their lives and careers, would be examples of using my notes rather than writing a detailed overview - this would be a more suitable way to present my research. Comments and feedback are encouraged for these posts, too - if I make an error, please feel free to inform me nicely. 


Now, tomorrow: a "Pegbar Profile" on animator Frank Tipper, an artist who worked at nearly every animation studio on the West Coast, traveled to join the British animation business (twice), and worked in television, both live-action and animated. 

 

An early comic strip by Frank Tipper, published in "The Junior Times," a Sunday supplement of The Los Angeles Times, on May 22, 1927.




1 comment:

  1. I can't fathom the amount of time you took to do the research on Tipper. Even with material available on line, which makes this kind of research so much easier than in the pre-internet days, it takes an awful lot of digging and checking.
    I can't think of a more thorough biography of Tipper than the one you've compiled.
    I suspect you're correct in that Tipper was one of many freelancers at H-B in 1958 (Mike Lah being the most notable).

    ReplyDelete